Village, Town or County  
 
 
Home
Help
Browse Entries

 

Ardley, Oxfordshire
 
Store this place
Link to this place
 
Old Map of Ardley
Street Map of Ardley
 
Places within


Ardley has grassy mounds on which stood a castle, built and destroyed by the Normans. Not one stone of it now stands upon another. But there are Norman stones in the church in the buttressed tower with its saddleback roof, in the round windows of the belfry, and in the row of corbels on the outside walls. The chancel is 14th century with a 13th century arch; it has a crude double piscina, a recess which may have been an Easter sepulchre, and a tall low side-window, partly filled up but with its original iron grille. It had oak shutters in the old days. There is a font with a tapering bowl from the Norman church, and two fine old chests with panelled lids and carved fronts.
The King's England Oxfordshire (1942) by Arthur Mee. Original transcription by CuriousFox, and edited for identification purposes.


 
Surname GeoSearch

Surname
County
Village/Town
Find within
Text of Entries
Surname Keywords
GeoSearch Help

Read & Reply
Change email
Check entries
Upgrade
Renew


To send a message or add an entry... join CuriousFox as a free or paid member. Paid members have entries with green envelopes and all members can send them messages. Entries added by free members have red envelopes and only paid members can contact them.





Previous page